Friday 3 October 2014

Doncaster Triathlon

Leading up to doncaster standard distance triathlon I shouldnt of had any nerves as no one expected anything from me however I had put a lot of pressure on myself as I believed I could win the event outright.
The previous year I had signed up to Doncaster triathlon to be my first standard distance event but two weeks before hand I had been knocked off my bike by a lorry, the injury ment I couldn't compete but only served to rally me up for this years event, I kept my nerves low by reminding myself of previous good performances throughout the year and all the hours of training I had put in

I traveled to the event with the only other Louth Athlete and good friend Martin Ball, other members of louth tri club had decided to compete in the shorter Sprint distance tri at Louth for the first ever Louth Triathlon. We arrived early allowing us to sign on, warm up and get ready for the race.

The 1500m swim was 2 laps of the Hatfield water park lake, I set off fast to gain some space before settleing into a rythem along side fellow competitor Jp hemmings who I knew was a good swimmer, we swopped and shared the drafting role for the entire swim and I exited in 5th place just behind Jp however I managed to overtake him in transition leaving me in 4th place.

The bike leg was a uncomplicated flat 42kms I settled into a high pace early on keeping a close eye on my heart rate and keeping my cadence high rather than pushing a big gear to help save my legs for the 10km run, within the first 5minutes of the bike leg I had passed the other 3 competitors putting me in a firm first place, I continued the high pace reaching speeds over 30mph for parts of the course,  when I finally entered T2 I was a full minutes ahead of the field but I wasn't aware of this at the time so continued my assault.

When I set off on the run one of my worst fears struck me, I had started the race with stiff legs from over doing some high intensity training the week leading up to the event, I quickly adjusted my running style to cause as little bother to my calfs as possible this seemed to be a very short steps however it was enough to keep my lead only loosing 2 minutes on the run meaning I won the event outright by a whole 5minutes !.

No comments:

Post a Comment